Meet Stephen Mcphee, a kid with a passion to help other kids. At the age of seven, when he found out there were children on the prairies' streets without a home at Christmas time, he said to parents Jim and Nancy Mcphee “We have to help!”—and they did! They put together 15 backpacks filled to the brim and delivered them to a homeless shelter on Christmas Eve. In 2007 Stephen was adamant that his family make bigger backpacks, and after an interview with the local newspaper, the community came together to help, in Stephen’s words, “Dream Out Loud”, resulting in 265 backpacks! Today, Stephen’s Backpacks Society is a National Charity that has helped over 28,000 children in need across Saskatchewan and Alberta!
What Goes Into Our Christmas Backpacks?
Backpack – size appropriate for age
- Mitts, gloves, hats, toques, scarves
- Teething accessories, formula/ baby food, baby and Mom hygiene items
- Games, toys, stuffed animal toy, cards
- School Supplies: rulers, pencils, pens, crayons, erasers, binders, loose leaf paper calculators
- Clothing Items: pj’s, slippers, socks, sweatshirt, sweatpants
- Flashlight, batteries, radio, alarm clock
- Hygiene items age appropriate, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, lotion
- Candy bag, gift certificates
Clothing items such as pj’s, slippers and other objects, shoes/boots, flashlight with batteries, CD player, mp3 player, gift certificates, mirror, dental floss, lotion/cream, shampoo/conditioner and facecloths, puzzles, games and colouring books.
View/Download: the Corporate Sponsorship Letter—December 2016.pdf
View/Download: the Letter to Schools—December 2016.pdf
View/Download: List of items that go into the Christmas Backpacks.pdf